Friday, July 24, 2009

Kylee Update #6

Hello Everyone,

Well, this should be my last update for quite a while. Sorry, it's taken me till now to let you know about last Monday. Kylee's surgery went fine. It was more of an outpatient surgical procedure I would say. That said, Kylee hasn't felt well since then. She was very tired and sore afterwards... now grant it she did not get the same type of pain medication as she did during the first major surgery. She received a couple doses of morphine and then she had some occasional Tylenol or Motrin from me. I should have probably kept up better on that. The surgery was delayed 2 hours so she was really hungry again.

Afterwards, Dr. Grady said he thought it went really well. He put a lot of pressure on the d-flux and nothing leaked. So, after they brought a very tired Kylee out to me who was in a lot of pain, she said she was leaking... I thought, "You’ve got to be kidding me." I checked and she did leak just a little. I'm hoping it was just a fluke thing or drainage from surgery. Since Monday night she has leaked a very little. I figure I'll take a little compared to a lot like before. So, that is a good thing. Monday night she was pretty uncomfortable. She awoke Tuesday feeling awful and extremely tired. I thought of all days... since we were trying to check out by noon. She had been fine for over 2 weeks and THEN the day we're leaving... I thought she'd bounce back faster from the minor surgery. But, I'm thinking she was VERY sore inside and just didn't get enough pain medication and everything might be catching up to us.

We did leave Tuesday... Kylee only threw up once. We came home and have been excited to see our family. Art's sister and her children are also here visiting till next Monday. We celebrated my birthday yesterday mostly by lying around.

Kylee right now is still very tired. I am too. Every night since her first surgery I get up to check and make sure her catheter is draining at night… often more than once. Since this surgery on Monday, it hasn't been draining very well which has caused me to sleep even less. I think it might be because she isn't drinking enough water. And in California it's a lot hotter than Seattle so she is sweating more. She also has some back pain, a headache and now her throat is hurting some. We let her go to a pioneer celebration tonight but she should have probably stayed in bed. I will probably take her to the doctor tomorrow to make sure she doesn't have an infection. Normally, after surgery, they put her on a month's worth of maintenance antibiotics. They didn't this time because she looked so good before. Well, I'm thinking they should have after this surgery Monday. So, we'll see what they say tomorrow. That all said, she really is still doing great despite everything. She still looks mostly well... just tired. I was telling a friend tonight... if she is only leaking a little like she is now at the end of September, then we'll celebrate. Last time we thought the surgery might have worked... we found out it didn't a month and a half later. So, I'm giving it two months from now. We'll see what happens and pray for the best like always.

Thanks again for all of you've done. We appreciate you all so very much!

Rebecca, Kylee and Art & family

No comments: